If one thinks about it, there are over six billion of us humans on earth today breathing, eating, drinking, creating waste of all sorts and using up “stuff” which probably doesn’t have an inexhaustible supply. We need to rethink the methods and traditions we have used to live and prosper as a society – some are OK but others should be changed.
WHAT DOES “GREEN” MEAN? It means different things to different folks. Some possible categories and a few examples that deal with construction might be:
- Energy saving – smaller and more efficient homes, point of use water heaters, compact fluorescent light “bulbs” (CFL’s), LED lights, double glazed windows, fiberglass building insulation, stop unwanted air leaks (around windows, doors, through the floor plumbing, through the ceiling flues)
- Water saving – low flush toilets, water saving showerheads, landscaping choices
- Environmentally friendly – timber responsibly grown and harvested (timber harvesting rules in western states have gotten much stronger over the years), renewable, efficient and cleaner factories and distribution channels
- Clean air – low emission building materials and construction procedures
- Limit waste – recycle construction waste, use long-lasting materials when building, re use materials
- Health – low emission interior materials, adequate ventilation in buildings; we have been a leader in product emission and safety issues since current management arrived in 1970.
At FORBUSCO, we are very much in favor of providing you with sensible choices. Sometimes there are laws that we are following; just complying with California’s building codes goes a long way towards being “green”. Other times we just don’t want to supply you with certain items that don’t make sense. We don’t always buy the “cheapest” because if it just dose not work well or fails altogether you’ll probably have to replace it. This not only costs you money and time, it takes raw materials and energy to remake the product – wasteful on all fronts and is not environmentally friendly.